Shameful act City striker Adebayor loses it


Adebayor set for FA probe
Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor looks set to be suspended following his antics in the 4-2 victory against his former club Arsenal at Eastlands on Saturday.
The Togo international caught former team-mate Robin van Persie in the face with his boot and, after scoring City's third goal, raced 90 metres to celebrate his goal in front of the Gunners fans.
Objects were thrown towards Adebayor by some away fans who were infuriated by the forward's behaviour.
Last season, Arsenal supporters had accused Adebayor of not trying hard enough in some games following his attempts in the summer of 2008 to seal a transfer away from the Emirates Stadium.
FA chief Ian Watmore told the BBC said of the controversy:"I was unimpressed because of the problems between the Arsenal fans and Adebayor.
"We'll look at it on Monday and then bring it to the disciplinary process.
"I thought the stewards did a great job of calming the situation down and it was to Manchester City's credit nothing worse happened.
"Our governance team will take a good look at both of the incidents that have been highlighted and will come to the media with the answers early next week.
"The punishments are the decision of the individual commission, if we get that far."
Van Persie had claimed on Saturday evening that Adebayor had deliberately injured him, issuing a statement that read:"He set out to hurt me today. I do feel lucky that I have not received a greater injury.
"I knew he was aiming for a collision because he changed the angle of his body to allow contact to be made.
"He moved backwards when his natural momentum would have taken him forward. I find that deeply disrespectful.
"The contact was only centimetres from my eye. I have not received an apology from him, there were no words exchanged afterwards. He had his own agenda today and that is bad for football. It's bad for the game we all love."
After the game Adebayor had said of his tangle with van Persie:"I was trying to kick the ball. I see him tackling and I don't have time to take my feet back because I'm trying to kick the ball.
"My feet touch his head. I feel sorry for him and even straight away, and at the end of the game, I said sorry."
But he insisted he is not scared of facing the fans when the teams clash again on April 24 next year.
He said: "I can go and play at the Emirates for the return game, why not? I play for Manchester City and if they want me to go and play, I will play."
Van Persie was left with a cut on his cheek after his clash with Adebayor and issued a statement branding the Togo hitman "mindless and malicious".
Adebayor said: "After the game I saw him and said sorry but he didn't even want to speak to me."
Adebayor, who joined City for £25million, is likely to face separate improper conduct charges and faces a SIX-MATCH ban.
In 2006, Gary Neville was suspended for two games and fined £5,000 after he celebrated a late winner for Manchester United in front of visiting Liverpool supporters.
One steward was taken to hospital and fans were injured as trouble flared after Adebayor taunted the visitors at Eastlands.
FA chief executive Ian Watmore said: "I was at the game so I saw it with my own eyes.
"I was pretty unimpressed because the problems between the Arsenal fans and Adebayor are well documented but he still ran the whole length of the field to celebrate."