Yankees ban iPad

Wherever you feel the need to have your iPad, I am happy. So, it seems, is the TSA. The New York Yankees, though, seem to float on a different boat.
A report from Yahoo Sports suggests that the Yankees have decided in all their infinite, historic wisdom that the iPad falls under its "No laptops" policy.
Spacekatgal, a poster on the IGN boards and who first caught Yahoo Sports' attention, said: "The security people told me it was not allowed and I was turned away at the gates. Why on earth would they have this policy? Terrorism concerns? I couldn't get an answer. I snuck it in under my jacket...I bring it to Fenway all the time and they don't care."
Yes, Boston's hallowed home is renowned for its relaxed and friendly demeanor. And the old "under the jacket" trick was first perfected by Stephen Colbert at the Grammys.
I know the Giants don't score many runs, but this was a little strange.
(Credit: Chris Matyszczyk/CNET)
You might wonder why someone might have felt the need to bring their iPad to Yankee Stadium. Perhaps they might be rushing from work straight to the game. Perhaps they might be desperate to enjoy the ESPN iScore Baseball Scorekeeper app on a larger screen. Perhaps you might think they're just odd, vain, co-dependent, or simply very progressive.
But it seems, at the very least, that the policy had not been made explicit by security forces at Yankee Stadium until Yahoo Sports asked the question.
I can, however, confirm that out here on the loose left coast, the San Francisco Giants, who play at AT&T Park, seem not to be concerned with the glitterati bringing their magic revolutions to the ballpark.
How do I know? Well, last Saturday I was seated behind a group of four people. While I was focused on Giants pitcher Tim Lincecum wheeling his way in a slightly troubled manner to a victory, my seat neighbors were, well, playing a racing video game on an iPad. (The picture has not been doctored in any way.)
Not only was this a Saturday, but it was a very sunny day game. And you thought the Yankees owner George Steinbrenner had his eccentricities.