Avram Grant resigns as Portsmouth manager

Avram Grant has resigned as manager of relegated Portsmouth, the 
south-coast club have confirmed.
Avram Grant led Portsmouth to the FA Cup final where they lost 1-0 to Chelsea

Avram Grant has resigned as manager of relegated Portsmouth, the south-coast club have confirmed.
The 55-year old Israeli announced his decision to leave the beaten FA Cup finalists in an open letter to fans on the club's website.
"This was one of the most difficult decisions I've had to take in my football career," said Grant.
Grant, who took over at Fratton Park in November 2009, has been linked with the vacant West Ham job.
The Hammers are without a manager after sacking Italian Gianfranco Zola on 11 May following a Premier League campaign that almost ended in relegation.
The likes of Mark Hughes, Paolo Di Canio, Slaven Bilic and Ian Holloway have been tipped to take over at Upton Park, but BBC football pundit Steve Claridge expects Grant to succeed Zola.
"Not many managers walk out of a job without having another one readily available to them," he said. "If my money was going anywhere it would be on him going to West Ham."
The former Portsmouth striker added: "I would not have thought it was the hardest decision for him. I don't think he would have fancied managing in the Championship - I am not sure how much he even knows about the Championship."
Grant arrived as Portsmouth's director of football in October 2009 but replaced Paul Hart as manager the following month, with the club bottom of the league with just seven points from 13 games.
Crippled by financial problems, the club went into administration in February and were subsequently deducted nine points by the Premier League - a punishment that all but condemned them to relegation.
They went on to finish bottom of the table on 19 points but reached the FA Cup final, losing the Wembley showpiece 1-0 to Grant's former club Chelsea.
606: DEBATE
Wicken1301
"After a lot of soul searching and under the circumstances, I'm taking a different direction," explained Grant, who won 10, lost 16 and drew seven of his 33 matches in charge.
"Portsmouth has given me a feeling of home away from home. I might be leaving Portsmouth physically, but you cannot take Portsmouth away from me and my heart.
"It's been both a difficult and complex year for us at the club, but, at the same time, it's been a wonderful and uplifting professional and personal experience.
"I have been inundated with letters and emails from fans. Many have brought tears to my eyes - and, take it from me, it takes a lot to do that.
"I will never forget you, the loyal fans of Pompey, who, without a doubt, helped me protect the team under such complex circumstances.
"There are very few teams in the world that have fans as passionate and devoted as you are. Seeing you all so proud with your heads held up high is the best reward I can receive."