Mickey Rourke: 'I Have Respect for Very Few Actors'

Story photo: Mickey Rourke: 'I Have Respect for Very Few Actors'Mickey Rourke (Getty Images)Parade
By Jeanne Wolf, Parade.com

Mickey Rourke has gone from the bottom to the top, scoring an Oscar nomination for his comeback role in the tiny-budgeted "The Wrestler." Now, he's got a juicy role in the summer blockbuster "Iron Man 2." So does that mean that the fiercely outspoken actor who once quit his failing showbiz career to become a boxer has mellowed out? You be the judge.

Mickey tells Parade.com, "I'd just as soon do a big-budget movie as an independent one. Sometimes the independent movies can get a little too arty-farty. You watch the IFC Channel and you want to throw up. You don't always have to take things so serious, you know."

Photos: Ultimate Hollywood Comebacks

No wonder he didn't feel guilty about accepting a few perks.

"I'd just come off working on 'The Wrestler,' which had no budget and I didn't even have a chair to sit in. I remember the first day on 'Iron Man 2' I said, 'Can I have a cappuccino,' and they said, 'Which kind would you like?'"

While Mickey enjoyed receiving the royal treatment, he doesn't enjoy today's young Hollywood set.

Photos: Top Action Film Stars of All Time

"You can be less than mediocre and be a movie star," he says. "I have respect for very few actors and actresses. Some of them get a lot of acclaim but just because their movie made $200 million at the box office; they still suck. I got no respect for them and I used to let them know it. It was important for me to put that aside and go, 'You know what? This is a business.' So, now, I just keep my mouth shut and pet my chihuahuas."