Delhi celebrates Diwali with zeal

NEW DELHI: Forecourts and threshholds of houses decorated with colourful rangolis and marigold flowers, prayers conducted at homes, shops and temples, and people exchanging sweets with their near and dear ones - Delhiites are celebrating Diwali with joy and a pinch of grandeur this year.
"I went to the temple with my parents in the morning. Then we went to our shop in Paharganj where we conducted the puja. We even distributed alms and sweets among the poor," Shiva Chawla, who loves to gorge on the "special" food his mother prepares every Diwali, said.
"My mother makes lip-smacking poori, aaloo and halwa on the festival every year. My friends too come at my place just to relish the food," he added.
Those away from their hometowns don't give the celebrations a miss.
Said Pankaj Suri, who hails from Chandigarh and is studying here: "I went to my elder sister's place to celebrate Diwali with her family. After the puja in the morning, we decorated the house with marigold flowers and rangoli."
"We'll visit some relatives and give them Diwali gifts and sweets. We've got plenty of crackers to light up the night sky," he added.
Many houses were sporting exquisite rangoli designs like flowers and Lord Ganesha in vivid colours.
"I've made rangoli using coloured powder, diyas (earthen lamps), floating candles and flower petals," said 24-year-old Kirti Mehta whose Rangoli depicted Lord Ganesha.
"In the evening, diyas, candles and fancy lights will illuminate the facade and balconies of my house," she added.
Meanwhile, shops, especially those selling sweets and crackers, in various markets did roaring business. Long lines of cars and two-wheelers were seen leading up to such shops.
"I went to Sadar Bazar with my father at 12 last (Thursday) night and got two bags full of crackers. Every year, my cousins and I burn crackers till two in the morning and this year will be no different. This is my favourite festival," 16-year-old Vansh Jhingan said.