Sacked Maradona Puts The Boot Into Bosses

Sacked football coach Diego Maradona says he was betrayed by Argentina's football bosses after his team's Word Cup exit.

The soccer legend said he was given assurances his contract would be renewed despite Argentina losing 4-0 to Germany in the quarter-finals in South Africa.
But Argentine Football Association President Julio Grondona and AFA General Manager Carlos Bilardo went back on their word, said Maradona.
"They called me to put out a fire and we put it out," he said.
"But Grondona lied to me. Bilardo betrayed me.

While we were still in mourning after losing to Germany, Bilardo worked in the shadows to throw me out.
Diego Maradona on his sacking as Argentina coach
"While we were still in mourning after losing to Germany, Bilardo worked in the shadows to throw me out. I've given everything, everything."
Close to tears, Maradona, 49, was applauded by journalists as he wound up the short press conference in a restaurant in Buenos Aires.
Maradona said Grondona had told him "in the presence of witnesses and players, that he was very content with the work done and that he wanted it to continue".

Diego Maradona
Maradona's grey suits and colourful personality made him popular with fans
But once the team returned to Argentina, "Grondona told me that he wanted me to continue as the coach, but that seven people from my coaching squad would have to go".
"That was impossible for me to agree to do," he added.
"I have different codes and morals than they do. My parents taught me that."

Argentina's World Cup Results

    :: 1-0 Nigeria (Group Stage)
    :: 4-1 South Korea (Goup Stage)
    :: 2-0 Greece (Group Stage)
    :: 3-1 Mexico (Last 16)
    :: 0-4 Germany (Quarter Final)
Diego MaradonaMaradona's appointment as coach to the national team in November 2008 was followed by a difficult World Cup qualifying campaign in which they reached the tournament in their last game against Uruguay in October.
Despite the bumpy start Argentina, who boast Lionel Messi, the Barcelona playmaker regarded as the world's best player among their ranks, looked like potential winners after the group stages in South Africa.
Ultimately however they were shown up by the counterattacking speed and teamwork of the Germans, who had also put four past England in the previous round.